Monday, September 17, 2012


I want to start by reporting on my last goal. I observed others and myself being servant leaders. The three things that I saw take place by other people was:
  1. My roommate made brownies for this girl in our ward
  2. I went on a run with another roommate and he told me how he loves to make people smile. People will be alone walking on the way to campus or on campus and he just says something to them to boost them up. The whole time we ran he tried to make someone smile. 
  3. I went to institute and there I watched my teacher go up to this handy cap girl and talk with her and also helped her to participate in the class
The three things I did this week:
  1. I made dinner for my roommate
  2. Another one of my roommate’s computer was not working so he could Skype his girlfriend who lives about an hour from here. I prayed that night that the next day he would be able to Skype her. My prayer was answered. He was much happier.  
  3. I went to take my foster sister’s kids out to play. She is pregnant and kind of sick. So I went to help take off the pressure. (PS That was my sister’s idea. She’s great)
Goals from my mission and  recently being home
We had a great class this week with Brother Bond as our speaker. He spoke on leadership and I was really surprised by one thing. He talked about the importance of vision, enduring to reach our goals, and seeking happiness. (3)  Vision is so important. In Proverbs 29:18 it says, “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.”  A vision is not what you will accomplish, but the result; where you see yourself. A final product you may say. You can’t get somewhere if you don’t know where you are going. That doesn’t mean you have to know everything in between and how everything will end up. That’s what goals are for. Goals are your markers that indicate how close you are to your vision. Sometimes as you are going form goal to goal you realize one of them isn’t really on the path toward your vision or it’s not doable. Change it. Make it worth your while to be acting toward the vision. It is more important to keep the law and be happy then to simply be about doing. 

Brother Bond also talked about John Plaso. John was a man that really helped and inspired Brother Bond to accomplish his goals. He was someone that brought out his best work. (2) I hope to help others around me by listening. I feel the way to gain someone’s trust is showing your interest. If it matters to them, it should matter to me. If you really listen, you will know them. If you know them, you know how you can serve them. If you serve them, then they will not only do what is required, like Br Bond, but they will begin to act for themselves. That is the greatest thing that can be passed from one person to another; recognizing the power that one has within. 

One thing that really intrigued me in his lecture was when he pointed out the fact that we fail. We will fail a few times in our quest to reach our goals, but it should never be the reason we quit or stop working to reach our goals. I’ve looked back at a few experiences where I didn’t start what I wanted to do or just didn’t finish. I realized it was because I had a failure and stopped or I was scared of failing.  That really brought a greater understanding of leadership to me because I know that I can’t be a perfect leader, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be a darn good one with a few learning experiences along the way.

I have recently returned from a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Coming back is quite a change. It goes from full focus on others to starting from square one in your personal life. Sometimes square one is just finding out if you need to head north, east, south or west. That’s where I’m at. I would like to share with you something that has helped point me in the right direction in my life ever since I learned it. I used it before and during my mission to help me to make the most of my time and circumstances. It’s a basic outline that helps me to organize my thoughts and help me to get things accomplished. 

Vision: I will rely on God to illuminate my road and make things clear. I will be ever watching and acting in making decisions that will determine my destiny.

Mission: Every person ever born in history now in the future is influenced by the light of Christ for goodness. As we yield to that influence to do good and become good then the light of Christ increases in us. –Elder David A. Bednar

Goals
  1. Be a good husband and good father
    1. I am not married, but I know it is the next most single important decision in my life
    2.  Read Book of Mormon with a focus on being prepared for marriage (Daily)
    3. Go on a date once a (Weekly)
  2. Fulfill my calling
    1. 100% home teacher (monthly)
    2. Be prepared for the sacrament/come with a question (weekly)
    3. Come to church prepared to teach class/read less and have an outline (once a month)
  3. Choose a major by December 14
    1. Questions to ask
      1. What do I like from my classes?
      2. What do I not like from classes?
      3. What will point me in the direction of providing for a family?
      4. What will provide me with time to serve in the church?
      5. What do I enjoy?
  4. Go on a cross country bike ride starting next summer
    1. Buy a bike (By Sept 30)
    2. Create a vision for the trip (By Sept 30)
    3. Create team (By January 31)
    4. Find sponsors (By January 31)
    5. Bike daily
I know this is where I am heading

1 comment:

  1. This is great Ty! Thanks! You should watch this BYU devotional. It is the 30 minute one that I wanted to watch the first day of class. I think you will enjoy it and find it helpful :). Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsWiwFRVsqU

    ReplyDelete